What better way to cure winter chills and Sunday blues than with a warm bowl of soup? Tipsy tomato soup is so simple to make yet incredibly flavourful. I love a tasty tomato soup and the gin was just a genius addition. When I found the recipe, I knew that I had to try it.
Gin & Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1kg ripe plum tomatoes, halved
- 60ml gin
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 pinch light muscovado sugar, optional
- 1 cup cream
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until golden.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes or so until well heated through and just beginning to break down.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the gin into the pan and allow to reduce by half, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vegetable stock or water and allow to reduce by half again. Blitz with a hand blender to a smooth purée.
- Season to taste. Only add sugar if you think the soup needs it.
- To serve, add the cream to the soup and allow to warm through. Garnish each bowl as desired.
Ta da! … So much tomato goodness in one bowl. Serve with homemade bread or a grilled cheese sandwich. It almost makes winter worth it.
Cheers and Bon appétit!